Sunday 20 May 2012

Who could represent Australia in Eurovision?

I have been asked a lot since starting this campaign who I would have represent Australia in Eurovsion. Before I get to that, let me say a few things about the music industry in Australia.

Australia has a wonderful and diverse music industry. Being a country which is isolated from many other parts of the world has meant that our entertainment industry has developed in a unique and robust manner, with a long and colourful history. The music industry is a great example of this. From long running music tv shows like Countdown and Rage, to national youth radio broadcaster Triple J, Australians have always prided themselves on the quality of our homegrown talent. Our music is as diverse as the Australian culture, with our own industries for Hip Hop, Alternative Rock, Country, Jazz, Blues & Roots, Pop and Indigenous music which are distinctly our own.

My personal tastes bias me towards one particular area of Australian music, the alternative music popularised by Australia's government supported youth radio network Triple J. I have been a long time listener to the Triple J and I cannot pretend that this would not affect the bands that I would select for Eurovsion. Having said that, even with this particular bias, there is generally a wealth of unique talent that could make Australia proud. Triple J supports fostering fresh Australian music through various means including their second digital radio station Triple J Unearthed which plays exclusively independant and unsigned Australian music, as well as an online portal for these artists.
I will make a separate post with many more possible artist who would be wonderful at Eurovision, but I have one favourite song at the moment that I believe needs to be singled out.
My number one choice for Eurovision 2012 had Australia been able to enter is a song by Triple J Unearthed band called Toehider. The song I would nominate would be called 'I must say yes'. This song is a downloadable MP3 from their Triple J Unearthed profile here.

Here is a look at the song on YouTube (Warning: There is some mild language in this song in particular one word starting with f, so please take note before listening):




And if you want to know if it is possible to play this song live...



Or acoustic...


If that song doesn't convince you that Australia should be in Eurovision, I don't know what could! Australia4ESC!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment